Skip to main content

Backpacking across upper Assam: Part 3/3

Now I reach day 3 of my journey and suddenly I realize that this is a completely new territory for me. Prior to this I always had a local contact to help me out and provide me roof as a fall back to anything. But now I was marking the unknown, unhindered, unsupervised, and uninsured. Therefore very astutely I decided upon reaching Digbrugah, to pay a visit to Jokai Botanical garden, a region so remote that I had to change autos to get there, and the place is completely devoid of humans. This was my 127 minutes.

A little background, Jokai is actually a forest set up to contain many of the rare species of flora of Assam to preserve their germplasm and help botanists do research. But given its far off nature, and lack of botanists in India, this place is perpetually empty except of adolescents coming here to hang out and escape their parents. All this while being right in the middle of Jokai district, which is quite famous for insurgency related talk in Indian armed forces. And I headed there, all the while having no idea about this stuff and learning after I return. I should have seen the look on my face.
entrance to jurassic park

Germplasm storage

You walk in the trance like forest, only sounds of insects – poisonous or not – and the whispering of the wind among the quixotic flora. Paths diverge, trails lead into more wilderness. The entire gamut of green is painted all around you with accents of red four winger loitering in the open space trying to catch the attention of the next vermillion or mauve flower they intend to suck dry. A shelter, made for a certain Gogoi stand in contrast among the cluttered droppings of the native goats, its porcelain white like edifice basking the noon day sky. Yet we find the insufferable detritus of human neglect, growing on the manmade structures from months of disuse.

The place is scary no doubt. All that I have held in my mind’s eye was the caricature of nature portrayed by the liberal and adventure media, this regional ecosystem is an epiphany to my eyes. Especially when travelling alone. When in company, you always have a safety net, a sort of protective shell, the edge of comfort zone if you must.. but in this case, myself being in a singular company of Mrs. Forest, was struck by paranoia… for small periods of time for I could not see any man made feature at all. Brief bursts of courage and realization that my cell was catching the GPS, put me at a more eased position to continue exploring and letting my senses direct my mind. Somehow after a couple of hours, I stumble back out of the main gates, still deserted, thinking about how to get back.


Waiting on road


No auto rickshaw for an hour, I try hitchhiking, doesn’t work either. So I take out a book I was carrying, sit on the tarmac and start to read. Low rumble, approaching diesel engine. My thumb rushes skyward. Screech. A Mahindra Bolero comes to a halt. I walk up, calmly yank the rear door handle, push my bag in and then climb aboard. “hello”. Turn out this good gentleman is an engineer in ONGC and was returning from the field. He is kind enough to drop me near Assam state university.

Picture this: A ghetto styled bazaar, with corrugated iron roofs covering the massive movement and merchants below. Boards hawking their merchandise. However the only difference being, these boards proclaim: “X Ray, world renowned!”, “dentist check-up only Rs.###!”, “Ear check-up at competitive prices!”. You get the gist.

Tinsukhia is another matter altogether, I reached by the time sun had started to shine over Brazil, this part was completely unplanned and was a spontaneous decision I took after leaving the Assam medical college. Not much to do here, this is also a place raked by the dacoits of ULFA. By the time I made it to the temple of bells some 30 kms away, it was fast approaching sunset. Click, click, click, smile selfie click and then rush back to Tinsukhia.


So what did I learn on this trip? Well I am not really as confident I as I want to be, especially when I am on my own with no backup on call. Yet the very façade of confidence will pull you through you almost any given dilemma. My own muscles were not nearly as exercised as I wanted it to be, which I learnt when these cramps rake me the day after I came back. However, my adrenaline and other hormones did allow me to pull through and achieve the trip with no downfalls whatsoever.

Something else I saw was that no matter where you go in Assam, if you are alone, people will try a little (Mumbai lingo) to help you and make you feel comfortable. At random shops, auto drivers, ferry owners, random people in the streets, host families, this very basic human trait to help and be kind overpowers their desire to ignore. No monosyllabic answers, big rounded descriptions were the toast of the day. It feels good. Puts a smile on your face and gives you the confidence you need to go on.

Travelling alone is difficult. Touring alone even more so. Doing it in a land where very few people get you is properly risky. In an insurgency racked area, I must be mental. But I learnt more about me in this trip than I have for the past couple of years. Kudos to you too for reading to this long rant of mine.
Here, have a Puppy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Backpacking across upper Assam: Part 2/3

Hi I am the normal(ish) 21 year old engineer in Guwahati, Assam. And this the second part of my journey. thank you for making it this far. My journey veered towards Sibsagar , the ancient capital of Ahom Empire and the pot purri of Assamese culture. It is a very unassuming city, which to reach I took a window seat on a traveler. And then Mr. Murphy cared to weigh in, streaming a flock of children into the cramped traveler, much to the delight of goddess of misery, though I dare not complain, for obviously, people who hate children are categorized same as people who love children in a manner that Vladimir Nabokov would describe as natural. Yet this observation is not about my trials, though I will have more, because I found that even in this far of land, the gangrene of tetris loaded Gameboy exists. Even the sound is nostalgic. The place is quite quiet and I arrived and ran into my host family’s patriarch, who did not understand half of what I was saying, but given Mr. Ki

Resurgence of the blog

So I stopped blogging once I moved out of NESA and to the central offices of Airtel in Gurgaon. Turns out, it was not a good move. Now, finally, after 5 years, I am restarting this blog all over again. Let me see if I can recap my past experiences, including parts of NESA and other crap that I pulled through. Traveled the remote reaches of Arunachal Pradesh in Eastern Himalayas. Did Tawang, Bomdi-la, Dirang, Along, Pasighat. I met a lot of people, enjoyed snows and wonders of a different kind. Traveled solo in the inner reaches of Sibsagar, Assam, and the ruins of the ancient Ahom empire. Walked the oilfields of Digboi, stood at the easternmost railway stations of Tinsukia. The mega party of Kohima's Hornbill festival. Got drunk, ate Bats, Squirrels, Deer, Honey Bees, Silkworms, and other things that I no longer remember. Fought with my HR and got a transfer to Gurgaon Made new friends in Gurgaon. Created a new household. Reconnected with a lot of civilization.  Finally got the Tel