Skip to main content

Journey in Arunachal Pradesh



When you surpass the natural contours of Bomdila, you enter the mainstays of Himalayas. And just before the roads climb past the 10k feet mark, they go down, into the ravines of Tenga river, across the shoulder of the lesser Himalayas. And there lies the town of Dirang, the last bastion before Tawang and the shivering deserts of Tibet. Air is thicker, but colder. Traces of snowy winds from Tibet nuzzle my cheeks as I pass into this town, serene as the morning and picturesquely laid across the Tenga Valley. Here two different vales merge, and their confluence creates a place that looks like its held in a bowl encrusted with mountains.
 
Bomdila Heights

Here the slopes become gentler, the recklessness of earlier mounts gives way to behemoths who softly straddle the land. It is a very cozy place. And I caught my first glimpse of snow as well. Shining brightly against the rising sun, illuminating the profile of Sela pass, it does suck out your breath. Never have I seen such height. The vertices makes you strain your eyes. The thing is, even though Kashmir valley and portions of Himachal may be higher, the relative way by which our mind measures, makes this place seem higher. If you don’t get what I am saying then lite, this segment of my blabber does not matter, nil, go and do your work….
 
Bomdila

Because so did I. 


Task: to deliver contents, both man and machine and launch Airtel network for the first time in Dirang.


So it began with Video provides a powerful way to help you prove your point. When you click Online Video, you can paste in the embed code for the video you want to add. You can also type a keyword to search online for the video that best fits your document o make your document look professionally produced, Word provides header, footer, cover page, and text box designs that complement each other. For example, you can add a matching cover page, header, and sidebar. Click Insert and then choose the elements you want from the different galleries.<Redacted>

Themes and styles also help keep your document coordinated. When you click Design and choose a new Theme, the pictures, charts, and SmartArt graphics change to match your new theme. When you apply styles, your headings change to match the new theme. Video provides a powerful way to help you prove your point. When you click Online Video, you can paste in the embed code for the video you want to add up.<Redacted>


You can also type a keyword to search online for the video that best fits your document. To make the document look professionally produced, Word provides header, footer, cover page, and text box designs that complement each other.Save time in Word with new buttons that show up where you need them. To change the way a picture fits in your document, click it and a button for layout options appears next to it. When you work on a table, click where you want to add a row or a column, and then click the plus sign. Then exit the gumpfa.

Reading is easier, too, in the new Reading view. You can collapse parts of the document and focus on the text you want. If you need to stop reading before you reach the end, Word remembers where you left off - even on another device.<Redacted>

Video provides a powerful way to help you prove your point. When you click Online Video, you can paste in the embed code for the video you want to add. You can also type a keyword to search online for the video that best fits your document.
 <Redacted>



All config done, and then at 2 AM, there was light. The entire town was lit with the radiant beams of 900 MHz of microwaves. Dirang was live on Airtel network.<Redacted>


There is something mystical about seeing your handiwork affecting people. Hearing voice which is now being carried over a network you set up is distilled happiness. An odd remark by a shopkeeper made me realise this grave depth: 


Me: Okay cool, now you can call anywhere in India and the world.

Her: I can call anyone?

Me: Yes, anyone you wish..

Her: Good, now I will call Modi and tell him to do development here.

Me: <laugh, and then realise that this is actually possible>

Her: Good Good, <walks away>

<curtains>


People are wonderful, in Arunachal especially. I haven’t heard such fluidic Hindi spoken anywhere in India. This version is not the mongrel beast created by swarthy mouths across the undulating plateaus of peninsular India. This is the distilled purity of.. well … distilled water, with words littered like gems in the air. It truly enraptures your ears and makes you want to speak in the purer dialect as well. Now the discerning reader may wonder, why does the frontier province lay claim to perfect vocation of Hindi? The story behind this goes like this: in this tribal (closed community) belt, local mother tongues change every 10 kilometers. The only way for the people across tribes to communicate is through a language taught in schools, a language alien to all tongues thus impartial to all tribes. This was the Hindi that government chose to teach India. Thus with no outer influences. This language remained pure. This is not so a farfetched a solution. We do adopt English on a larger scale across India. Here Hindi serves the purpose.
Dirang



But it was time to return. I exit Bomdila approach and lo and behold, the great height of the roads give me a glimpse of plains of Assam. It is a smudge, but, still visible to my eye. The return journey is as thrilling as the ongoing one. Now my eyes feast upon the road descending and sky no longer remains as my goal. The river in ravine is my idol now. The river jostles for space, rocks and vegetation try to hold their own while the human settlements and roads fight back with dykes and dams; valley scrimp on space, and the compactness shows.
 
Approach to Bomdila

This place makes you mellow. Life looks easy, worries are only for shorter terms and nature is at its prettiest. It is a place worth visiting, worth experiencing, it gives you a glimpse of life, life at your calmest. No rush, no annual review, live and help others live.


Winds drop, warm air breathes into my lungs as I pass over Brahmaputra again, this time hued yellow and red as the sun enters its setting phase. But I rush on into the night. The place fades into nostalgia. But I feel fresh. Bring on the next phase North East, I am ready! Guwahati, I am back!
Me and Driver
Over River Brahmaputra

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Backpacking across upper Assam: Part 2/3

Hi I am the normal(ish) 21 year old engineer in Guwahati, Assam. And this the second part of my journey. thank you for making it this far. My journey veered towards Sibsagar , the ancient capital of Ahom Empire and the pot purri of Assamese culture. It is a very unassuming city, which to reach I took a window seat on a traveler. And then Mr. Murphy cared to weigh in, streaming a flock of children into the cramped traveler, much to the delight of goddess of misery, though I dare not complain, for obviously, people who hate children are categorized same as people who love children in a manner that Vladimir Nabokov would describe as natural. Yet this observation is not about my trials, though I will have more, because I found that even in this far of land, the gangrene of tetris loaded Gameboy exists. Even the sound is nostalgic. The place is quite quiet and I arrived and ran into my host family’s patriarch, who did not understand half of what I was saying, but given Mr. Ki

Resurgence of the blog

So I stopped blogging once I moved out of NESA and to the central offices of Airtel in Gurgaon. Turns out, it was not a good move. Now, finally, after 5 years, I am restarting this blog all over again. Let me see if I can recap my past experiences, including parts of NESA and other crap that I pulled through. Traveled the remote reaches of Arunachal Pradesh in Eastern Himalayas. Did Tawang, Bomdi-la, Dirang, Along, Pasighat. I met a lot of people, enjoyed snows and wonders of a different kind. Traveled solo in the inner reaches of Sibsagar, Assam, and the ruins of the ancient Ahom empire. Walked the oilfields of Digboi, stood at the easternmost railway stations of Tinsukia. The mega party of Kohima's Hornbill festival. Got drunk, ate Bats, Squirrels, Deer, Honey Bees, Silkworms, and other things that I no longer remember. Fought with my HR and got a transfer to Gurgaon Made new friends in Gurgaon. Created a new household. Reconnected with a lot of civilization.  Finally got the Tel

Backpacking across upper Assam: Part 3/3

Now I reach day 3 of my journey and suddenly I realize that this is a completely new territory for me. Prior to this I always had a local contact to help me out and provide me roof as a fall back to anything. But now I was marking the unknown, unhindered, unsupervised, and uninsured. Therefore very astutely I decided upon reaching Digbrugah , to pay a visit to Jokai Botanical garden, a region so remote that I had to change autos to get there, and the place is completely devoid of humans. This was my 127 minutes. A little background, Jokai is actually a forest set up to contain many of the rare species of flora of Assam to preserve their germplasm and help botanists do research. But given its far off nature, and lack of botanists in India, this place is perpetually empty except of adolescents coming here to hang out and escape their parents. All this while being right in the middle of Jokai district, which is quite famous for insurgency related talk in Indian armed forces.